No Melbourne Cup for Magic Circle

Written By

August 9, 2019 - 07:54 AM

14 Reads     0 Icon_comment

Trainer Ian Williams has ruled out sending Magic Circle back to Australia for a second shot at the Melbourne Cup at Flemington in November.

The seven-year-old, who was unplaced as second favourite last year, is set to be seen next in the Listed Chester Stakes on August 31.

Finishing third on his return in the Ormonde Stakes at the Roodee in May, the Dr Marwan Koukash-owned Magic Circle failed to feature at his most recent start start in the Ascot Gold Cup.

"He has had a little bit of time off as we have had a few little issue with him, but he is likely to reappear in the Listed mile-and-six race at Chester at the end of the month," Williams said.

"We will see where he goes from there, but we don't have any intentions of sending him abroad this year.

"He has had a few little problems, but hopefully he has overcome them now and is now moving forwards."

With a trip to Australia off the agenda, the Cesarewitch at Newmarket in October has been identified as a possible long-term target.

"We will have a look at the Cesarewitch and see what goes there and that could possibly be an end-of-season target, but there are no firm plans," Williams said.

"Hopefully he will come back as good as ever, and although he is getting on a bit he is still a very talented horse."