Weather holds key to Plumaro comeback

Written By

October 19, 2018 - 05:21 PM

28 Reads     0 Icon_comment

Trainer Kevin Kemp will leave it until as late as possible before deciding whether Plumaro will race at Doomben because of the weather.

Plumaro hasn't run since finishing midfield behind boom horse The Autumn Sun in the Group One JJ Atkins (1600m) at Doomben on June 9.

She has been accepted in Saturday's Ray White Ascot 3YO Handicap (1200m) in which she has 58.5kg.

Kemp isn't keen to run her on a heavy track and has a few options for her return..

"A slow seven would be OK as she has raced well on soft going before," he said.

"She has had two long jump-outs and she is doing well but I don't want to flatten her first up as she has some big things ahead.

"I will leave it until as late as possible and we will just have to see what happens with the weather.

"I am in NSW with my other mare Sold For Song but I am getting plenty of other weather updates."

Doomben was rated heavy on Friday wiht a 60 per cent chance of showers on Saturday.

Kemp is keen to have Plumaro ready for the stakes races in the summer because he believes she is already a valuable broodmare commodity.