At the grand age of 28, Rough Habit was put down at his Cambridge home yesterday, as the effects of old age and deteriorating feet set in.

He won a staggering 29 races and nearly $3.9 million. Cassidy partnered him in 12 of those wins.
“If he was a human being he would have been Prime Minister of New Zealand,” Cassidy said.
“He put me on the map, him and (trainer) Johnny Wheeler. They helped my career skyrocket.
His Doomben Cups, his Stradbrokes, his wins in Sydney, his wins in Melbourne. He’s one of my top three.
“It brought a tear to my eye hearing (he had died) for what he helped me achieve.”
Cassidy said it was fitting the toughness Rough Habit showed as a racehorse was mirrored in the longevity of his life.

He was every bit a champion,” he said.
“To win in New Zealand, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, two trips to Japan, one to America and come back to Australia and still win at Group 1 level, you tell me a horse that’s done that. There wouldn’t be one.
“He was a freak. He had a great will to win. He wasn’t the prettiest horse, he had that white eye, but by geez, he took me a long way in life.
“He was the apple of my eye, Roughie.”
Shane Scriven was one of nine other jockeys to win on Rough Habit, with that victory coming in the horse’s final win, the 1995 P.J. O’Shea Stakes.

“The only day in my mind that matches that day in terms of a crowd reaction to a horse was the day Black Caviar turned up at Doomben,” Scriven said.
“It’s certainly the only day I’ve ever had anyone cheering like that for one of my rides.
“Everyone was cheering for one horse, whether they backed him or not.”
Wheeler, whose other champion of that era, Veandercross, also died recently, told New Zealand’s The Informant the two wins that stand out most for him were the O’Shea and Roughie’s second Stradbroke in 1992.
“Between them (racecaller) Wayne Wilson and Roughie made it so memorable,” he said. “It was very emotional for me and I’d say everyone else there, you just never forget those days.”
Rough Habit retired to Cambridge Lodge, where he was buried yesterday, and for two decades was the star act at the property’s Horse Expo tourist attraction.