Like everyone else, I am loving the fact that we have Group 1 racing back! Blue Diamond Day is always a special day and I expect this year to be no different. Below is a full preview of my tips for the big Group 1 treble. There is also a few selections that I have marked as winners throughout the country.

The Futurity Stakes: I am a big fan of Moment of Change but I am going to be taking him on this time. Opened at $2.80 and is already out to $3.10 with the strong money that has come for Bull Point, but it is not the Gai Waterhouse runner that I am taking either. For me it is the ex-Queenslander Sizzling. Had his first start for the Waller stable in the Expressway and was easily the eye catcher of the race after the way he hit the line. My one concern for this race is that he has drawn inside and that is not his ideal running, in saying that the way he attacked the line last time out was too much to ignore. Have to have Bull Point in next ahead of Moment of Change purely based on the light weight that he will be carrying with Ollie on top.

Final Selections: Sizzling - Bull Point - Moment of Change

The Blue Diamond Stakes: The big one for the day. Also, probably the toughest race for punters for the day. There are clearly two class horses in this race, in Earthquake and Rubick, that everyone is watching and talking about, but every horse has their fair chance at this one after the favourites drew awkward barriers.

I am not normally one for always taking the favourites, however, in saying that, I will be sticking with Rubick after his extremely impressive Prelude victory. Got dug up early to sit in a forward position after a terrible get away, was eventually forced to sit out in front on the cracking tempo and still managed to blow his rivals away on the bend with an explosive turn of foot to hold his rivals. As much as barrier 10 is an awkward barrier it can also be a blessing in disguise. It gives Avdulla the opportunity to assess the field and leaves him with a number of options in the first few strides.

Earthquake is clearly a big danger and with Damian Browne on top she will be given every chance to win this one. My issue is that she either needs to be pushed forward early from an outside barrier in a race that has plenty of tempo inside her which will cost her in the end, or that she needs to go back and take a sit on the field which has the risk for giving Rubick a too big a start.

I thought the biggest threat outside of the top two was Chilvary. Motored home in his Prelude run behind Rubick where he jagged a very strong 3rd. Has a clear barrier advantage over the top two picks and the 1200m definitely suits. Chivalry is a more than worthy threat for this race.

Final Selections: Rubick – Earthquake – Chilvary

The Oakleigh Plate: Taking on the top two in betting for this one. Lankan Rupee loves to lead, but I also expect that Gregers, Kurushio and Minaj will want to find the front which will put too much pressure on Lankan Rupee. Knoydart had a gut buster in the Hareeba after sitting 3 wide all race without cover and managed to pull away against the bias of the course.

Again, going to put a Waller racer on top in Dystopia. Coming into the race fresh after a very impressive victory in the G.H Mumm Stakes after settling at the back of the field and showing a dazzling turn of foot to sprint away from her rivals in the final 300m. The tempo of this race will prove pivotal in a good performance, but with the four leaders going hard up front I expect Bossy to take a very comfortable sit on Dystopia back in the field and then to attack the line strongly.

I am going to put Shamal Wind into my top three as well as I expect the light weight and the fast pace up front to play right into his hands.

Hard to ignore the incredible form of Knoydart so he will go into my top three as well, but I expect him to be tiring too much in the final 100m.

Final Selections: Dystopia – Shamal Wind – Knoydart

Caulfield Tips:

Race 2: Very keen to see how Not Listenin’tome returns to the races. Was also nominated for a race in Randwick but has been sent to Caulfield to take on some quality opponents. Going to put him on top after hearing the confidence of The Hawkes team about their runner. ($1.95)

Race 5: Call me crazy, but I am putting Pakal on top even with previous Melbourne Cup winners, Fiorente and Green Moon, in the race. I have big things marked for this European import and both Green Moon and Fiorente are very suspect first up. Pakal has had a previous run which will strip him fitter against this field. ($6.00)

Race 9: I know how hard it can be to wait and be patient on big race days, but if you have the ability to wait this long jump on Arinosa. Forget she went around last time out after she drew the inside and had to go between runners, that is purely not her style. She has drawn wide against a small field with a bit of pace up front and will now strip the fittest for the 1400m. This has victory written all over it for her. ($5.50)

Randwick Tips:

Race 5: This should be a belting race. It also sees the return of one of my favourite horses in Guelph. I have backed her in every start she has ever had and this weekend will be no different. The $2.00 that has been put up about her looks big value. I know her rivals are talented but Guelph is a class above them. ($2.00)

Race 6: Found a bit of a roughie here in Bugaboo. This Grahame Begg runner has trialled strongly and was quite impressive in her first up run sprinting strongly down the outside to finish up 3rd. Loves running second up with a win and two minors from 3 starts. ($13.00)

Race 7 (The Apollo Stakes): Looks like a match race between Appearance and Boban. Going to stick Boban on top this time. Yes, Appearance won last time they met in the Expressway, however, Boban has a much stronger form line in races second up and loves this distance. Nash didn’t quite get through the race we were expecting last time out and the horse may have been slightly under done. Expecting Boban to strip much fitter for this and storm home late. ($3.00)

Eagle Farm Tips:

Race 7: Just the one confident tip for the Queensland races this weekend. Tiger Tees. If this Joseph Pride runner is anywhere near the top of his form he is a class above this field. Will roll forward in this race and should shake them off at the bend. Loves running fresh with 3 wins and two seconds from 7 goes first up. The $4.40 that was originally posted has already been snapped up and I still think the $4.00 that is available is value. ($4.00)